Best of 2008 Reads

Best of 2008 Reads

After looking at my list of books read for the year, hubby asks the question:

"Can you say which were the best or favorites or are they all just a big blur? Do you remember any of what you read? You have to blabber blog about the top 10."

Yes, he said blabber blog. It's his favorite term for it.

Actually I do remember every single story and whether they left me with the warm fuzzies, entertained, expanded my mind or I'm so glad I'm done with it feeling. It turns out 2008 was the year for romance. I ended up reading many trilogies or series books. I discovered several authors new to me and gobbled up their books. I remember back when I was a teenager reading Harlequins. They were simple stories but engaging non the less. The genre has grown up in the past 30 years and I discovered a wide variety of romantic suspense, thrillers, paranormal, contemporary, inspiration and historical books.

The one author I truly fell in like with and read practically all her books during the year: Nora Roberts. She also wrote the In Death series under the pseudonym J.D. Robb and I read all those twice this year.

My favorite trilogy by Nora Roberts was an older series from 1999 - The Irish Trilogy with the Gallagher sisters: Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon and and Heart of the Sea. I read them twice.

It was a pleasure to discover several authors with some interesting series. My Favorite series was Cindy Gerard's The Bodyguards. 6 books of romantic suspense that left you wanting more. Fortunately she continued with the start of another series called Black Ops that I'm working my way through now.

Roxanne St. Claire's Bulletcatchers series and Marliss Melton's Navy Seals series follow close behind as memorable with strong characters and great stories lines.

Paranormal suspense romances - what can you say about them. I discovered two steamy r rates series that aren't for the faint of heart by Cherry Adair and Lori Leigh.

My newest find - christian author: Brandilyn Collins. I've only read three of hers so far: Dark pursuit, Brink of Death (book1 in hidden faces series) and Violet Dawn (Book1 in kanner lake series. She gives Ted Dekker a run for the money and I will be working through the rest of her stories.

90% of the books I read this year were romances in some shape or form. In 2009 I will be trying to read a wider variety of genres including books from the 1001 books you should read before you die list, classics, mysteries and thrillers, suspense, science fiction, christian fiction, Non fiction and of course, romance. I'm resolving to be a more well rounded reader. With all the book bloggers out there in internet land, I have discovered many books to read. It will be an interesting year.

2 comments:

  1. The Saturday Review at Semicolon this Saturday is dedicated to book lists. You’re invited to share a link to yours on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll enjoy Veritas Conflict. It's suspenseful and interesting.

    I'm not much of a romance reader myself, but I might have to check out Brandilynn Collins some time.

    Happy reading and thanks for commenting on my blog again!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately due to being spammed, all comments will be moderated and will appear after approval. At least I'm not using the dreaded captcha. Thank you for dropping by!