Weekly Geeks 2009 - 05


This week it's all about judging books by their covers! Pick a book--any book, really--and search out multiple book cover images for that book. They could span a decade or two (or more)...Or they could span several countries. Which cover is your favorite? Which one is your least favorite? Which one best 'captures' what the book is about?

Father gave me "War and Peace" for Christmas and has been asking me weekly when I will be reading it. Soon, I answer, soon. Once I finish ... (make up excuse here)

So, I looked at all the different versions on War and Peace on Amazon.

What is War and Peace about? The description from Amazon for the version my husband purchased says: "Widely considered the greatest novel ever written in any language, War and Peace has as its backdrop Napoleon’s invasion of Russia and at its heart three of the most memorable characters in literature: Pierre Bezukhov, a quixotic young man in search of spiritual joy; Prince Andrey Bolkonsky, a cynical intellectual transformed by the suffering of war; and the bewitching and impulsive Natasha Rostov, daughter of a count. As they seek fulfillment, fall in love, make mistakes, and become scarred by battle in different ways, these characters and their stories interweave with those of a huge cast, from aristocrats to peasants, from soldiers to Napoleon himself."


Now look at the covers:




Each cover seems to represent a different story. In the first row, the first one seems aristocratic; the 2nd reminds me for some reason of Dr. Zhivago; the third - war; the fourth of Napoleon; and the fifth represents class. The sixth book gives me the impression of a story about a sophisticated lady; the seventh - world war II and the eighth I can't quite tell but I think that's a picture of a castle. The last one is plain and simply lets the title speak for itself.

The one I like the best - the fifth one - The black cover with the chandelier. The symbolism I get from the picture is one of a shattering chandelier - represent class and strife, the rise and fall of life, illuminating or darkening as the case may be.

I like the sophisticated lady one the least - the picture doesn't seem like it would go with the story.

Once I finish reading it however, we'll see what cover I think then represents the book.

So, which one do you think my husband bought me? And which one do you think captures the true nature of the book?

11 comments:

  1. I do like the chandelier one the best. But I also kind of like the Dr Zhivago one haha. Also the seventh one, which is the most depictive of war.

    I agree with you about the lady.. although it is a nice picture, it doesn't seem appropriate.. but who am I to say, as I've never read the book as well??

    Hm.. would your husband have bought you the chandelier cover? (I'm hoping he got you the one you like the most.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is what happens when a cover is designed - the artist chooses soem aspect of the story. The cover creates an impression of what the book is about. I have seen some when the artist has got it entirely wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never read "War and peace", so I don't kow which cover represents the story best. I agree, though, that the woman doesn't seem to go with the title. I like the plain ones in the bottom row, too. They look classy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    I personally like the red one with the castle, but I'd say your hubby bought you the first one and I think #3 looks more like what the book is about. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I havent read this book yet, but I do like the last on the second row, the red cover.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the last one- simple. I had one with a war scene on the cover. War or the girl- it's an all encompassing book with many themes so either would fit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the chandelier and your explanation of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would pick the red cover for the one he bought you...I really can't pick one that seems to fit the description!!! I like the fact that you gave us a brief synopsis of the book though because I've never read it and forgot what it was about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good guesses. He actually bought me the last one--the plain white cover. The synopsis actually came from that particular book link on Amazon. I thought I linked the book, but looks like I forgot to do that particular one. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the 7th one and I'm partial to it, it's such a lovely cover and book. Mine is blue though. Since that's the newest translation, I would guess he bought you that one.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately due to being spammed, all comments will be moderated and will appear after approval. At least I'm not using the dreaded captcha. Thank you for dropping by!